Certified Business Relationship Manager (CBRM®)
The CBRM® Practitioner Qualification is intended for the intermediate-to-advanced Business Relationship Manager, as it focuses on advancing to the role of Strategic Business Relationship Manager. As such, the primary focus is on strategic business relationship management, leveraged to optimize business value to the enterprise.
The purpose of the Practitioner qualification is to confirm whether the candidate has achieved sufficient understanding and competence to perform the role of Strategic Business Relationship Manager.
To pursue the CBRM® certification, a candidate must be a certified Business Relationship Management Professional (BRMP®).
- Certified Business Relationship Manager® (CBRM®) is an intermediate-level Practitioner certification. While no prior/minimum professional experience is required to pursue the CBRM designation, to enroll in the CBRM course and sit on the corresponding certification exam, CBRM certification candidates must demonstrate (e.g. by submitting a copy of their official BRMP certificate) that they have earned BRMP® certification. Digital copies of the official BRMP certificates are available to the BRMP certification holders via APMG Certificates Portal.
- CBRM certification candidates must agree to the CBRM Code of Ethics. Breaches to the CBRM Code of Ethics may be considered as a valid cause for certification revocation.
Upon class enrollment, you will be eligible for a one-time use 50% discount off the price of BRM Institute Professional Membership. Join immediately before your training to help in your success.
Ask your Registered Provider for details!
*The 50% off discount applies to Professional Membership only, not BRMP or CBRM courses or BRM Institute Events.
CBRM® Learning Objectives
The successful candidate will demonstrate deep understanding and ability to perform the Strategic BRM role. Specifically, the candidate will:
- Effectively communicate the purpose and objectives of the Strategic BRM role and how to optimally position that role for maximum effectiveness within the enterprise
- Understand how to use their personal power and influence to build business relationships and foster a culture that excels at business value results
- Apply the Strategic Relationship Management processes and techniques to build and sustain trust relationships spanning Business Partner and Provider networks
- Be able to assess Business Demand Maturity and Business Relationship Maturity and how these might evolve over time
- Be able to assess Provider Capability Maturity and BRM Competencies and identify key areas needing improvement
- Be able to apply cross-organization communication techniques to clearly articulate real Provider/business value delivered to the organization
- Be able to influence executive leaders in their use of Provider Capabilities and Assets based upon potential business value and convergence with business strategy
- Promote and catalyze business innovation in the Provider’s sphere of influence
- Be able to use the Business Value Management process, techniques and metrics to define, realize and optimize the value of Provider capabilities and assets
- Apply Business Partner Experience Management so as to foster a positive Business Partner perception of Provider capabilities as an essential element of building and sustaining trust relationships
- Shape strategic agendas for optimum business value, with due consideration of external compliance requirements and potential risks to the business
- Understand the implications of Lean/Agile methods for the BRM role and capability
- Influence the development and deployment of available Provider capabilities based upon business need and potential to enable or create business value. Apply Business Capability Management to determine and acquire enabling capabilities pursuant to strategic outcomes
- Apply Business Capability Management to determine and acquire enabling capabilities pursuant to strategic outcomes
- Contribute to Business Transition Management in order to foster organizational understanding, support, adoption, and business value results of investments in new business capabilities
CBRM® Course Outline
- Explain the House of BRM, recalling the BRM Core Disciplines, competencies required for the BRM role, and necessary conditions for protecting the integrity of the role
- Recall the key BRM concepts, processes, and techniques
- Understand the Business Relationship Maturity Model and the Five Relationship Maturity Levels
Understanding Business Relationship Maturity and Value
- The Strategic BRM Role and Capability
- BRM Impact on Business Value
- Introduction to the ACME Leisurewear Case Scenario that is used through the course
Assessing BRM Context
- Clarifying Issues
- Conducting a Business Demand Maturity Assessment
- Conducting a Business Relationship Maturity Assessment
- Conducting a Provider Capability Maturity Assessment
- Shaping the Business Partner’s experience with the Provider
- The BRM role in Service Management
Developing Strategic Relationships
- How to assess Strategic Relationships and plan for their improvement.
- How to achieve business impact through influence and persuasion.
- How to plan and execute BRM formal communications.
- Organizational considerations for BRM deployment.
- How to determine appropriate BRM performance measurement.
Optimizing Business Value
- Formulating and Clarifying Business Strategy
- Catalyzing Business Innovation
- Business Capability Management
- Value Management Planning
- Portfolio Management
- Business Transition Planning
- Business Value Optimization
Summary and CBRM Exam Preparation
- Course Summary
- CBRM Syllabus Review
- Format and structure of the CBRM® Practitioner Exam
- Exam hints and tips
- Sample Exam
Development of CBRM is made possible by the CBRM Content Development Team, which is comprised of renowned Business Relationship Management (BRM) experts, trainers, game-changing BRM practitioners, and senior business executives ranging in academics, government, and industry from all around the globe. Generously volunteering their time to add value, experience and rigor to the body of knowledge, Business Relationship Management Institute is grateful to these people and their organizations, provided here.